- We laughed not at but with one another.
- We slowed down.
- We came up with a rhythm to help our focus.
- We enjoyed each other’s failures.
- We encouraged each other to remember.
In less than 15 minutes, we created a supportive environment for one another where failure and teamwork were celebrated. Communication and collaboration naturally rose to the forefront; and success was carefully designed by accommodating each other’s strengths and learning styles. I ask everyone in the room: So keeping these same outcomes in mind, how might we start off the year with our students? How might we create that same sense of community and team in our classrooms?
Whenever someone asks me the #1 reason why families choose TCS, I respond with one word: community. It’s our togetherness while authentically celebrating and empowering each other to “always be all you” that draws families and educators to TCS. This diversity and unity are not accidental, however; they are outcomes of a deliberate design that guides every one of us.
This new year, our community has many reasons to celebrate. We will:
- Plan for the addition of two new grades;
- Break ground on phase 1 of the campus master plan;
- Field our first-ever athletics teams (and choose a mascot!);
- Finish the roll out of our campus security upgrades;
- Reimagine the design of our library/media/technology centers;
- Invest in our playgrounds;
- Complete year 1 of of Vision 2021, our five-year strategic plan;
- Complete year 2 of our phase-in of Singapore Math in grades K-5;
- Give out a record amount in financial aid to assist families to attend TCS;
- And lots more in other curricular improvements and investments in our students, parents and teachers.